This recipe is a classic! One that you'll love to make over and over. It's not the recipe we use for our sugar cookies - that one is a family secret! But this one is pretty close so we're happy to share it with you.
Electric mixer – hand mixer or on a stand
Large spoon for scooping flour
Small, medium, large bowl
Chilled Cookie Dough
Squeeze bottles (or icing bag, pastry bag)
Sugar Cookie Ingredients:
1 cup salted butter, softened, at room temperature
1 cup white sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
¼ - ½ tsp almond extract (optional – but we think cookies are best with almond)
2 large eggs, room temperature
2 ½ cups all purpose flour (we like unbleached)
¾ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
Sprinkles or Coloured sugar (if you don't want to decorate with icing)
Instructions for making cookie dough:
- We like to pre-measure all the ingredients first – using different bowls.
- Put the eggs and vanilla in a small bowl – whisk gently.
- Put the flour, baking powder, and salt in a separate bowl. Stir with a whisk to combine.
- Cut the softened butter into chunks. Put the butter and sugar in the mixing bowl.
- Using electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugar. In the cookie kitchen, we like to beat butter and sugar for approx. 3 minutes – this makes sure the sugar is well blended. Scrape sides of bowl as needed.
- Add the vanilla and eggs to the butter mixture. Beat until light and fluffy – approx. 3 minutes. Scrape sides of bowl as needed.
- If using a stand mixer, turn the power to ‘stir’. Add scoops of the flour mixture to the bowl and beat until combined. Dough will come together off the sides of the bowl.
- If using a hand mixer, add a large scoop of flour to the bowl. Mix slightly. Continue to add scoops while the mixer is on low.
- Using the scraper gather all the dough into the centre of the bowl.
- Turn out the dough onto a piece of parchment paper. Gently push the dough together into one large ball.
- Divide the ball of cookie dough into 2 equal portions.
- The dough should NOT BE STICKY. It will be soft and easily formed into two balls – but not sticky.
- Shape each ball of dough into a round, flat disc. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap.
- CHILL dough in refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.
Instructions for baking:
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Remove one of the cookie discs from fridge. Let sit for 5 min. to soften slightly.
- Place the sugar cookie dough on a floured surface. Using a rolling pin roll out the dough. Thinner dough (1/4 in.) = crispy cookies. Thicker dough (1/2 in.) = softer cookies. Add a little flour to the rolling pin as needed.
- Using cookie cutters, cut the dough into shapes, Re-roll the remaining dough and continue cutting until all is used.
- Place cookie shapes onto parchment-lined cookie sheets. Place 1” apart.
- Repeat with 2nd ball of chilled dough.
- IF YOU DON”T WANT TO DECORATE WITH ICING – you can brush the cookie dough with a little bit of milk, then top with Sprinkles or Coloured sugar.
- Bake cookies for 10 – 12 min. Cookies will be lightly browned at the edges.
- Remove cookie sheets from oven. Place on a cooling rack. Leave cookies on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Sugar Cookie Butter Icing
Ingredients and Instructions:
- In large mixing bowl or food processor add the following ingredients:
½ cup butter
2 cups icing sugar
2 – 3 Tbsp warm milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Beat or process until smooth and well-blended, scraping sides of bowl as needed.
- To tint the icing, scoop portions of the white icing into smaller bowls.
- Add drops of food colouring to your liking. Stir well.
- Place each colour of icing in a piping bag or squeeze bottle.
- Decorate cookies as desired.
- Decorated cookies must sit for a LONG time until icing is completely hardened. We recommend at least 4 hours (longer is better). Chilling cookies in the fridge helps speed up the setting process.
- Cookies can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container.